The Military Power Seminar 2020: Transatlantic security relations after the US Presidential elections: What to expect?
We are delighted to welcome you to the Military Power Seminar 2020 – this year in a digital format! Join us in the discussion when we take a closer look at what the US Presidential election will mean for Norway’s security relations with the USA.
A link to the live stream will be distributed to the list of participants a few days prior to the event. Therefore, please remember to register at the top of this page! PS: You will not receive an automatic confirmation email.
The outcome of the US presidential elections 3 November 2020 could have significant implications for the transatlantic security relations. While the relationship has had its ups and downs over the last decades, it has further deteriorated during the Trump presidency. Will this trend continue, or will a Biden administration “normalize” relations? But can we ever expect to return to “normal”? Furthermore, either administration is likely to continue to emphasise Asia-Pacific and China over European affairs. But how far will they go – and what are the implications for transatlantic security relations?
How prepared is Europe to meet US’ expectations and take more responsibility for its own security? Will Europe strive towards strategic autonomy, and how would this affect the transatlantic relations and the future of NATO?
The 22nd Military Power Seminar will bring together a wide variety of high-level experts and officials from across the transatlantic community. The event starts out with an overlook of the strategic picture as seen from the US and from Europe. It then moves to European security developments and responses, before zooming in on implications for Norwegian security and defence.
- Welcome: Ulf Sverdrup, Director, NUPI
- Opening remarks: Tone Skogen, State Secretary, MoD
09:15-10:00: Part 1: The strategic picture: What will the next four years bring?
- Ambassador Wolfgang Ischinger, Chairman of the Munich Security Conference
- Ian Brzezinski, Senior Fellow, Transatlantic Security Initiative, Scowcroft Center for Strategy and Security, Atlantic Council, Washington DC
- Moderator: Ulf Sverdrup, Director, NUPI
10:15-11:00: Part 2: European security and defence perspectives. What next?
- Nathalie Tocci, Director of the Istituto Affari Internazionali, Rome, and Special Advisor to EU High Representative Josep Borrell
- Sophia Besch, Senior Research Fellow, Centre for European Reform
- Marianne Riddervold, Professor, Inland University & NUPI
- Moderator: Karsten Friis, Senior Research Fellow, NUPI
11:15-12:15: Part 3: (in Norwegian) Utviklingen i USA og betydningen for NATO og Norge
- Brigader Gjermund Eide, Militærrådgiver til NATOs generalsekretær
- Oberst Terje Bruøygard, Sjef planseksjonen (J5) ved Forsvarets operative hovedkvarter (FOH)
- Flaggkommandør Solveig Krey, Nestkommanderende i operasjonsavdelingen ved Forsvarsstaben (FST)
- Ordstyrer: Vegard Valther Hansen, Senior Adviser, NUPI