The position on offer is a permanent 100% position as a senior researcher linked to NUPI's research center for digital technology and cyber security under the research group for Security and Defence. As part of the research centre, you will be involved in investigating global changes as a result of technological development. How digital technology affects dynamics, interests and values in the international system, how power is used, abused and transferred, and how democracies and societies are changing as a result. Development is happening quickly and it is important to have knowledge to understand what consequences this has for the world.
You will initially work with the NFR-funded project GAIA, which examines global challenges in terms of cloud services, data storage, and our understanding of sovereignty. Questions related to power and dependence, digital warfare and the use of digital technology for influence, digital capacity building in developing countries, fulfilment of the sustainability goals, as well as international cooperation between states and private actors are also relevant topics for this position.
You can find more information about the research center here: https://www.nupi.no/vaar-forskning/forskningssentre/nupis-forskningssenter-for-digitalisering-og-cybersikkerhet
• Develop and implement ongoing research projects and ensure that high quality deliverables are delivered on time.
• Conduct ground-breaking research and publish articles in academic journals.
• Further develop ongoing research, as well as new projects by preparing project applications independently and in project groups.
• Contribute to good research dissemination and dissemination to scientific and political networks, as well as to the public.
• Collaborate with colleagues at NUPI, as well as with national and international partners.
The position will initially be financed by relevant projects at NUPI and you will be expected to contribute to these projects. The research project GAIA, which is funded by the Research Council, will be the most important part of this portfolio. It is also expected that you will take leading roles when it comes to project acquisition from sources such as the Research Council, the EU, as well as Norwegian ministries and other potential funding sources. We offer support from our research administration and the organisation's routines for collegial feedback, and support in the development of new research projects and applications.
The person we are looking for has good analytical skills, good oral presentation and communication skills, and experience with both theory-based research and policy-oriented research.
• Obtained a doctorate in a relevant subject area (political science, international politics, or other social sciences).
• Relevant international peer-reviewed publications.
• Expertise in cyber security and national autonomy, sovereignty, cloud services and data storage.
• Knowledge of transnational markets and infrastructure, as well as Norwegian foreign and security policy
• Competence in relevant social science theoretical and methodological perspectives.
• Master a Scandinavian language and English at a high level (written and spoken).
• Experience with research dissemination and media appearances.
• Experience in dialogue with government bodies, nationally and internationally.
• Experience with project acquisition.
• Ability to contribute positively to NUPI's research community.
The right person does not necessarily have to possess all these qualifications, consideration will also be given to the extent to which you want to supplement and complete the research composition at NUPI's research center for digital technology and cyber security.
It is expected that you can deliver research at a high international level, as well as take the initiative for research that complements, develops and raises the academic quality at NUPI. The right person is also expected to lead and implement research projects, as well as develop NUPI as a research institute beyond its own funding.
Personal suitability will be emphasized.
• An exciting, international professional environment
• Good opportunities for personal and professional development
• Flexible working hours
• Opportunity to work in a research group with highly motivated colleagues
• Office premises in the center of Oslo, a modern European city surrounded by beautiful forests and fjords. European Green Capital 2019.
• Support for conference participation and other work-related travel activities.
• Bonus scheme for academic publishing
• Good pension, insurance and loan schemes through membership of the State Pension Fund
• Mobile phone agreement
• Training during working hours
The position is paid in accordance with the Government's salary regulations. Senior researchers with a doctorate are paid according to their level of competence and are placed in salary code 1109 Researcher (from NOK 648,700 per year). Current regulations for the assessment of seniority and salary steps are used as a basis.
The position is permanent
Submit your application via JobbNorge by 15 November 2022. Click on the link "apply for a position" to get to the application form.
The application must contain:
• An application letter in which you describe your motivation for applying for the position, how your qualifications correspond to our announcement, as well as a brief description of your research interests and what you want to work on in the future (max. 1 page).
• A CV with a list of publications.
• Confirmation of completed doctoral degree
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to submit scientific work as well as to provide three references work.
We aim for our workforce to reflect the diversity of the population to the greatest extent possible. We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, cultural background, age, disability or gap in the CV. If necessary, the working conditions will be facilitated for persons with reduced functional abilities.
Contact Niels Nagelhus Schia if you have any questions about the position. Telephone: +47 90401201, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs [NUPI] is a leading competence environment for research on international politics and economics. We also have a special communication responsibility in these areas. We strive for quality, relevance and credibility in everything we do. NUPI is undergoing exciting development and currently has more than 65 full-time employees. The institute is owned by the Ministry of Education. Our funding comes from various national and international organisations, such as the Research Council of Norway and the EU, as well as public and private enterprises. We are based in attractive premises in the center of Oslo.