Introduction: Addressing the Emerging Gap between Concepts, Doctrine and Practice in UN Peacekeeping Operations
Book title: UN Peacekeeping Doctrine in a New Era: Adapting to Stabilisation, Protection and New Threats
This edited volume offers a thorough review of peacekeeping theory and reality in contemporary contexts, and aligns the two to help inform practice.
Recent UN peacekeeping operations have challenged the traditional peacekeeping principles of consent, impartiality and the minimum use of force. The pace and scope of these changes have now reached a tipping point, as the new mandates are fundamentally challenging the continued validity of the UN peacekeeping’s core principles and identity. In response the volume analyses the growing gap between these actual practices and existing UN peacekeeping doctrine, exploring how it undermines the effectiveness of UN operations, and endangers lives, arguing that a common doctrine is a critical starting point for effective multi-national operations. In order to determine the degree to which this general principle applies to the current state of UN peacekeeping, this book:
- Provides a review of conceptual and doctrinal developments in UN peacekeeping operations through a historical perspective
- Examines the debate related to peace operations doctrine and concepts among key Member States
- Focuses on the actual practice of peacekeeping by conducting case studies of several UN peacekeeping missions in order to identify gaps between practice and doctrine
- Critically analyses gaps between emerging peacekeeping practice and existing doctrine
- Recommends that the UN moves beyond the peacekeeping principles and doctrine of the past
Combining empirical case-based studies on UN peace operations, with studies on the views and policies of key UN Security Council members that generate these mandates, and views of key contributors of UN peacekeepers, this volume will be of great use to policy-makers; UN officials and peace operations practitioners; and academics working on peace and conflict/security studies, international organizations and conflict management.
- Published year: 2017
- Full version: https://www.routledge.com/UN-Peacekeeping-Doctrine-in-a-New-Era-Adapting-to-Stabilisation-Protection/de-Coning-Aoi-Karlsrud/p/book/9781138226753
- Publisher: Routledge
- Page count: 344
- Language: Engelsk
- Pages: 1 - 30