Introduction. UN peace operations: Adapting to a new global order?
Book title: United Nations Peace Operations in a Changing Global Order
The introduction identifies four transformations in the global order, whose implications on the UN peace operations are studied in the remainder of the volume. These four transformations are:
(1) the rebalancing of relations between states of the global North and the global South;
(2) the rise of regional organisations as providers of peace;
(3) the rise of violent extremism and fundamentalist non-state actors; and
(4) increasing demands from non-state actors for greater emphasis on human security.
With the entry of new actors from the global South as important players in the peace arena, we are entering a more pragmatic era of UN peace operations. At the same time, the UN is facing a classic struggle between the promotion of liberal international norms and realist security concerns.
- Published year: 2019
- Full version: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-99106-1
- Page count: 344
- Language: Engelsk
- Pages: 1 - 21