The challenge from Russian political and military ambitions is evolving rapidly on NATO’s northern and eastern flanks. In the Arctic, climate change and the expansion of navigable waters is bringing growing military interest into the region. On the Black Sea, Russia continues its militarisation of what it regards as its inland sea with reorganisation and build-up of naval, air and land forces.
LSE IDEAS joins the New Strategy Center Bucharest (NSC) and NUPI for a comprehensive update on the challenges to NATO in the Arctic and Black Sea. The conference is part of the research project FLANKS.
- To register for this online conference please click here. The conference will take place on Zoom.
15:00-15:10 – Opening remarks
- Kate Hansen Bundt, Secretary General of the Norwegian Atlantic Committee and Chair of the Board of NUPI
15:10-16:30 – Panel 1 – Security Challenges to NATO in the Context of the Pandemic
Chair: Peter Watkins, Visiting Senior Fellow, LSE IDEAS
• General (Ret.) Sir James Everard, former Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe
• LTG Daniel Petrescu, Chief of Defence, Romania
• Dr Karsten Friis, Head of Research Group on Security and Defence, The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs
16:30-16:35 – Break
16:35-17:50 – Panel 2 – The High North, Between Shipping Routes and Militarization: Security Challenges to the Arctic
Chair: Megan Palmer, Programme Manager, Central & South-East Europe Programme, LSE IDEAS
• Professor Jakub Godzimirski, Research Professor, The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs
• Colonel (Ret.) Per Erik Solli, Senior Adviser, Nord University
• Dr Rebecca Pincus, US Naval War College
17:50-17:55 – Break
17:55-19:10 – Panel 3 – The Militarization of the Black Sea Region and Consequences for South-East Europe
Chair: Tom McKane, Visiting Senior Fellow, LSE IDEAS and Senior Associate Fellow, RUSI
• MG (Ret.) Leonardo Dinu, Member of the Scientific Council, New Strategy Center
• Dr Dan Dungaciu, Member of the Scientific Council, New Strategy Center
• Dr Harlan Ullman, Senior Advisor, Atlantic Council
19:10-19:30 – Concluding Comments
(Speakers to be determined)