To take part you must pre-register no later than 24 October.
You can watch the webinar here.
Russia’s war in Ukraine is an inflection point for Euro-Atlantic and global security. It is a war that has quickly escalated from a defence and foreign policy challenge to encompass other areas such as nuclear, energy and food security. Within Europe, it has produced a renewed focus on sub-regions such as the Arctic and High North, the Baltic Sea, Central and Ea
stern Europe, and the Black Sea, and the distinctive security challenges in each.
Transatlantic governments have had to quickly reassess threat perceptions, defence spending, posture and capabilities. Thus far, transatlantic unity has been impressive, and the historic NATO Summit in Madrid, where a new strategic concept was adopted and Finland and Sweden were invited to join the Alliance, is evidence of this. Now, however, the focus must turn to implementation and the ongoing defence and deterrence of the Euro-Atlantic area.
This panel discussion is an opportunity for UK, US and Norwegian officials to explain any reassessment of regional and global priorities following the war in Ukraine. This event is part of our Norway, US and UK Transatlantic Trilateral Security Dialogue project.
The panel discussion will consider the following questions:
- How has Russia’s invasion of Ukraine changed the transatlantic environment? How has the European security architecture changed?
- How will US strategy towards European security adapt following Russia’s war against Ukraine?
- What approach should NATO adopt to the global dimensions of European security, and notably China’s growing challenge?
- How will security in Northern Europe change due to Finland and Sweden’s NATO membership and energy concerns? What changes to US posture in the region might occur?
- What is the UK’s approach to European security in general, and Northern Europe in particular, following the war in Ukraine? How does it intend to develop as a European security actor?
Moderator: Professor Malcolm Chalmers, Deputy Director-General, RUSI
Keynote: James Heappey MP, Minister of State (Minister for Armed Forces and Veterans)
- Wegger Chr Strømmen, Norwegian Ambassador to the UK
- Matt Baugh, Director Euro-Atlantic, FCDO
- Rachel Ellehuus, Senior Civilian Representative of the Secretary of Defense in Europe and Defense Advisor, US Mission to NATO
If you have any questions, please email Živilė Kulevičiūtė, Events Manager, at ZivileK@rusi.org.